Monday, May 22, 2017

Smack Down Technique

Over at Splitcoaststampers they have a weekly new technique challenge. Having stamped for over 25 years, I rarely see something new to me, but this week I leanred to Smack Down a background. A really fun technique.
This was my first and favourite card. I like the old world chintz fabric look that the technique created.

My second card was made with more ink colours and is a bit busier, so I chose to cover it up a bit more.

The technique is simple. Ink up a stamp. smack it down on your cardstck and just keep smacking it down until there is no ink left, Then repeat.

I used the focal flower stamp on these cards to create the backgrounds. I look forward to playing around with this some more.

Bold and Blooming in Coral

I recently got the Bold and Blooming Stamp Set from Gina K. Designs. I really like it. Included are three large sentiments, for birthday and friendship, and this Thank You.

I heat embossed in fine detail white embossing powder and then coloured in with Zig Clean Color watercolor markers and moved the ink around with a damp brush. I added a few heat-set Swarovski crystals.

I am looking forward to trying this on kraft cardstock with pencil crayons and embossing in gold on black and painting with Twinkling H2Os. Lots of possibilities!

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Seize the Birthday - Creatures and Animals

I made this card for a male colleague. He is from Britain and so I thought the bowler hat would be a nice touch.

The challenge blog Seize the Birthday is looking for Creatures or Animals for its Toppings Theme so this fits the bill there. All the stamps used are Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous stamps. I used Copic markers to colour in the images.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

May Christmas Card

Sylvia Durocher's Christmas Card Challenge for the month of May is to incorporate an oval and the colour black. I recently picked up this JustRite Stamp called "Christmas Holly Background Stamp" at the local stamp store's going out of business sale, so it worked well.

Using my MISTI I stamped it first in Versafine black and heat set, Then I coloured in with Zig Clean Color watercolor markers. I cut out the center as I was originally going to mount on a different coloured background, but then changed my mind and used the same white Bristol.

After finishing the colouring, I placed the panel back in the MISTI and overstamped with clear embossing ink and embossed with clear embossing powder. You can see the raised detail below. The center sentiment is a Quietfire Design stamp. I stamped in Versafine black and clear embossed. Both were mounted on black Recollections 110# cardstock from Michaels. As the card is a little longer than the panel, I added gold peel-off border top and bottom.

I had a Pop-Tone Black Licorice A-6 envelope (4.75 X 6.5 inches) from that fit well so I stamped a JustRite holly border from the Christmas Trimmings set in white StazOn. I will need to use a white label for mailing. 

Am entering this in the Christmas Card Throwdown Challenge as there are two layers on top of the base card. And that's a wrap!


Who hears Adele right now? :-)

When I made my Mother's Day card, I also made a second card using the reverse combo of a paler background and more vibrant center panel. To soften the panel so the "Hello" would stand out, I laid a piece of pink vellum over top and stamped the Hello there.

This is an A2 sized card and I stamped the white envelope to match.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Happy Mother's Day

Here is a card for my Mom. I used Jennifer McGuire's instructions to use first generation and second generation stamping to create two cards at once. I will share the other card tomorrow. 

The background was first generation stamping. The center panel is second generation, so it is paler. The flowers are AlteNew Vintage Roses. The sentiment is by Verve.

I decorated a coordinating matte envelope using a Pop Tone Pink Lemonade A-2 envelope. This is a Canadian website and they offer volume pricing. My local stamp store has closed so it is nice to have a mail order option.

Have entered this in these challenges:

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Burnished Velvet Thank You Cards

I think my favourite thing to do with my Silhouette Cameo is to make "die cuts" in cardstock and back them with tape, then burnish micro fine glitter into the tape. This fills the holes with glittery goodness that is soft as velvet and does not rub off.

This glitter technique is called Burnished Velvet and in real life these cards have a lot of wow factor. For the first one, the tulips, I backed the cardstock flower with white cardstock covered in double-sided tape and rubbed in iridescent glitter to create a glittery background. I wish this showed up better in the photo. (All photos expand if you click on them.)

Stamp: Stamp-it Australia

The tulip design was a cut file from the Silhouette store, as is the peony below. Here is what it looked like in the store:
Here is what I made with it:
Stamp: Waltzingmouse Stamps

I tried to do a little shading with a few pink shades of glitter. I need to practice that more. Basically I masked off sections of the flower (I used the Cameo to cut the mask from the tape liner) and sprinkled on the darkest hue in the centre, rubbed it in, then added the lighter sections. 

I used a milkshake straw cut on a diagonal as a scoop to pick up the glitter and place it (mostly) where I want it. The technique is magical because the glitter looks a bit dusty until you burnish it with your finger. Then it comes to life and really sparkles.

It is Administrative Professionals Day on Wednesday so these two cards are going to the people in my office who really deserve much appreciation for all they do for all of us!

You can see more Burnished Velvet cards by clicking on that label on the right hand side of this blog. You can find out how to do the technique here: Be Creative tutorials.