Sunday, May 1, 2011

Press'n Seal



Mother's Day is next weekend in Canada. I'm popping this card in the mail to my Mum. It was fiddly - lots of cutting out and paper piecing to create the flowers. I used the October Afternoon Thrift Shop pad of paper so everything coordinated. And along the way I discovered something. 

See the layout of the card above?  When I first layered all the bits and bobs, nothing had been glued down. I got it all arranged the way I wanted it and then realized the plain white background was really boring. But I was very happy with the arrangement of the label, flowers and leaves and didn't relish re-doing the layout after I created the background. Then inspiration struck.

Glad Press'n Seal is normally in a kitchen drawer. It clings really well to odd shapes and rims of bowls. It's like Saran Wrap but stickier. I peeled off a whack of it and laid it on top of the layout and pressed all over firmly. Then I peeled the wrap off and my layout came with it. I created my background, and then I adhered all the elements one by one, peeling them off the Press'n Seal as I needed them. They released easily, leaving no marks. I think this is a method I will use again, especially for cards with lots of layers.

The bird and flower stamps are from the Waltzingmouse Sewing Box - Hugs stamp set, and the sentiment is from the Spring Baskets set. Spellbinders Nestabilities Labels One dies were used to create the frames.

Hope you can use this tip! And I am entering this item in Craft Critique's May Carnival. Go check out the other Mother's Day projects over there at: Mother's Day Carnival.




6 comments:

Cyndie said...

Sweet card! And your "sticky" tip is a great idea! I've got some of that stuff and I will try it--thanks!

anya said...

Charmaine, what a *fantastic* idea! And what a great card, too - I love all the beautiful layers!

Lissame said...

I think the next time you use this a photo tutorial would help as I find following just the text a little hard as I am a very visual person when it comes to technical applications but thanks for sharing

Pauline said...

Beautiful card, love the layered flowers and bird, and I love the doily stamped behind, I have that stamp and I love it!

Sara said...

what a fabulous card!!! I love it!!

Anonymous said...

You're card is a stunner, for sure! I can see how the press-n-seal would work wonders for keeping a layout put. Thanks for the reat tip and the great card!