Sunday, May 29, 2011

Christmas Card Challenge



I have been playing catch up in the Waltzingmouse Christmas Card Challenge. On the tenth day of each month WMS design team member Lynn Mercurio posts a new challenge and encourages folks in the WMS forum to play along. I have made a few cards now to add to my stash. I should be feeling pretty smug come December!

January was all about recycling: old cards, wrapping paper, etc. I made two different cards incorporating commercial card fronts:
For the one above, I stamped and watercoloured the poinsettias and cut them out, then outlined them in chunky gold glitter.

For this tall card, I repurposed part of a commercial card front and added banners above and below with some white dimensional glossy dots for accents.

February was "Quick Pick" where we were supposed to look around our work desk and find some elements that could be made into a card. I had some left over bird die cuts and some punched out tags, so I pulled together a long (think business envelope) card:


In March Lynn challenged us to create three or more cards using the colour scheme of kraft, red and white or cream. I like this colour scheme so enjoyed this one.

I used the Cuttlebug Flourished Frame embossing folder on red cardstock, then highlighted the lines of the embossing with a white gel pen. I stamped the background "wallpaper" using a couple of border stamps in white Versamagic ink, so they have a chalky effect. Swarovski crystals added some needed - but subtle - bling.

I have two more months to catch up on. April's theme is snow (flocking or glitter) and May's theme is trees. I've already got ideas for both and that is usually the hard part - so I think I can do it!




3 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

These are super - I do like the challenges that Lynn has been setting us. I particularly like your set of three with the red flourish - very elegant.

And you've reminded me that I have three of these challenges to catch up on!!

Ruby's Girl said...

pretty cards!! hard to pick a favourite? Make sure you keep the cards in a spot where you can find them at Christmas! I am speaking from experience now! ; )
Judy

Karen said...

These are great! I like your ideas for re-working commercial cards. I have a bunch saved that I keep meaning to turn into something. You've inspired me to actually try it! Thanks :-)