Sunday, January 5, 2014

January Christmas Challenge: Embossing



A fellow Canadian stamper, Sylvia Durocher, has a blog where she posts a challenge each month for Christmas cards. Her January 2014 challenge is embossing. This can be pressure embossing or thermal. I chose thermal.

I was going for a copper theme, and you need to trust me that everything that is sort of orange-brown in these photos is actually copper!



I liked the idea of making a card for Santa. He's always left out, isn't he? All the images, the lantern e-cut file and the woodgrain background are from Waltzingmouse Stamps

I stamped and white-embossed the woodgrain on kraft cardstock, then rubbed some white pigment ink into the unembossed sections to tone down the kraft. I really like the effect!
On this angle hopefully you can see the copper colour a bit better.
I used heavy-weight copper Stardreams cardstock for the base, the frame around the words and for the lantern e-cut. After cutting out the lamp with my Silhouette Cameo, I clear embossed the stamp on top and then rubbed some green and black felt pens over top to antique it. The clear-embossed image resisted the ink. The lantern die cut is popped up over a second lantern image stamped on clear acetate. I embossed the white candle and the red radiance. The yellow glow is Copic markers scribbled on the back side of the acetate. Some holly leaves and berries, and a copper Peel-off sticker border for the sentiment, were the final touches. Check out Sylvia's blog for the post about the January 2014 challenge and play along! I am also entering this in the Allsorts Challenge for Week 240 "Free and Easy."


1 comment:

Wendy L said...

Wonderful design, thanks for joining us at Allsorts this week. xxx