Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dollar Decor & Ribbon Trick

What can you get for a buck these days? Or what could you make for a buck these days?
Quite awhile ago I was at the Great Canadian Dollar Store and came across some Making Memories hanging photo frame kits. They were one dollar each.

Each kit contained three cream metal embossed frames and a length of pink ribbon. The ribbon alone was a steal at this price! I took them home and stored them for a year or two, and finally got inspired. I needed something new for a wall in my loo.


I started by pouncing Ranger Alcohol Inks (Stream, Lettuce and Denim) over the metal.

I lightly sanded the high points of the embossing to expose the shiny aluminum surface.
I stamped and heat-embossed some nautical images (Crafty Secrets) in brown onto some aqua cardstock to mount in the apertures. I had some Martha Stewart printed ribbon in pale aqua/brown floral print that seemed to coordinate. (More on the ribbon bows in a sec.) Here is the completed wall hanging.

Perhaps the BEST part of this project (which was completed in less than half an hour!) was the clever way the ribbon bows are formed. The photos on the back of the box explain it better than I could (below) and I can see using this method again on cards and boxes and such.



Hope this inspires you to consider upcycling a bargain!

7 comments:

Ann Marie said...

That's gorgeous! Thanks for sharing the bow trick.

Chookarooni said...

great projects at a great price - don't you just love it when you find a bargain! thanks for sharing!!!!
M-J

Deborah Frings said...

Now that's what I call a bargain!! I think your new wall hanging looks fabulous! Just love the colours you've used. Brilliant idea!

anya said...

Ooh! This is a *great* tip, Charmaine! I am bow challenged, and this might be an easier way to try. I love the finished product you created for your loo! ;) It is beautiful - the frames in their aqua and silver and the ocean theme. Thanks for sharing this great project!

Therese said...

Thanks so much for sharing your art and that cool little bow trick!!

Therese
www.tmalakart.blogspot.com

Pauline said...

Wow! This is fabulous, and what a great buy for $1! Gorgeous colours, and the bow treatment is ingenious!

Nancy said...

I've been hoarding some of these frames (along with a bunch of other 'stuff') lol, thanks for reminding me to make something pretty with them!