Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Glittery Thank You

Have you tried Peel-offs and glitter? It's a neat technique, the glitter really stays put, and the thin Peel-off sticker nicely emphasizes the outlines of the glittered image. Below is the Elizabeth Craft Designs Peel-off I used to embellish this thank you card. I purchased it at my local stamp store, Stampers! 


I chose the coral gingham paper first and then stamped the trellis background and sentiment (both Waltzingmouse Stamps) to match. To make the glittery floral focal point, I laid a piece of wide Sookwang tape onto a scrap of white cardstock, then peeled back the liner to expose the sticky face of the double-sided tape.  I peeled off the black outline sticker, carefully laid it down on the exposed sticky face of some wide Sookwang tape, then covered it with the tape liner and lightly burnished. Then I peeled back the tape liner and poured Glitter Ritz Warm Highlights translucent glitter over the design, poured off the excess (saved for re-use) and used my finger to burnish the glitter into the tape (per the Burnished Velvet technique).

I coloured the clear sparkly glitter with Tombow watercolour markers and I used a Stampin' Up! blender pen to soften and pull the colour around. (You can do this with alcohol markers and alcohol blending solution, as well, but you need to use a light hand as the solution can eat away at the adhesive.) I backed the floral "label" with another piece of Sookwang tape to adhere to the card. I cut out an oval and a scalloped oval with my Spellbinders Nestabilities dies and elevated them with foam pop-dots. I think it is an easy technique with a lot of "wow" factor (at least in real life). Here's the final result:

4 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

This is fabulous, it's a technique that I really like but rarely use. I have to admit that I hadn't thought of tinting the glitter. So pretty, such sparkle - great work!

Pauline said...

This is so pretty Charmaine, I have lots of peel offs, but never use them! This looks so pretty with all the glitter and teamed with WMS!

SherylH said...

Very pretty! I had heard of using alcohol ink to do this technique so happy to see it can be used with watercolour markers as well. And sure is easier and cheaper than using individual coloured glitter.

Yvonne said...

Hello from another BC'er! Love your peel offs and glitter. Pink is my favourite colour. Signed up to follow your blog and look forward to lots of other great projects! Love your heading card. Just learned how to do that last week.